Who Is
The Fragrant Muse?

My photo
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm a Creative Soul and Happy Person. I have a passion for my Family, Aromatics, Fairy Gardens, Pugs, SoulCollage, Miniature Worlds, Visual Journals.

Copyrights

All contents Property and Copyright(c) of Liz Fulcher/The Fragrant Muse.
All rights reserved.
Please don't use my written word, photography or art without my permission.
Thank you.

BlogCatalog

Personal Development Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom

Jeanbelle Bodtke, my Mother, is 90 years young today.
And she really is young.  Young at heart with a young mind and body.

She goes golfing twice a week and doesn't use a cart but instead walks the course (9 holes).  She goes to exercise class 3 times a week and has been in the same class for over 20 years.  She runs around Clearwater going to yard sales, having lunch with friends and getting into who-knows-what.  She's never home when I call.   Mom is a member of the red hat society and volunteers everywhere.   She watches very little TV, mostly the news and reads constantly.   She had cataract surgery a few years ago and since then doesn't wear glasses.  Not even to read.

She followed her dream to become a nurse, even after she had three children.  Her attitude is always upbeat and happy.  I've never known her to be moody even though she grew up in the depression and had very little, is the child of an alcoholic, has buried two husbands and 3 siblings.   

We've had our differences over the years (I was the "difficult" child) and God knows we've had our fights.  But today, as I look at her with the eyes of an adult, I can only hope that I age as gracefully as she  has, keeping wit, intelligence and strength intact.

And I keep my fingers crossed that I inherited some of those genes that makes her want to exercise!
January, 2010




With her best friend, Brenda.



Picking fruit in her backyard


Classic "two-thumbs up" Jeanbelle.
We've joked about putting two thumbs up on her headstone.


Looking at old family photos together.

A surprise birthday cake at our last family reunion.

Curtseying after being presented with the cake,
making everyone laugh.
 


Mom, my Sister Rosemary and Moi.
Would Sassy be considered her Grand-dog?



Mom is a cool dresser, 

 Energetic Grandma,

Fun Great-Grandma!
(playing "pew stinky feet"with the Bean)



Happy Birthday Mom! 

10 comments:

Deb said...

What a beautiful tribute to your very cool mom! 90 years young! How fabulous! Can't believe you were a difficult child! Could it be that 'free spirit'? Hmmm? Blessings to you both!

My name is Erin. said...

This warmed my heart! Happy Birthday from some random lady in Michigan, Jeanbelle! (great name)

rxBambi said...

Looks like it was a fun party! Congrats on being a nonagenarian!
haha I just noticed if you break that word up (incorrectly) it says non-age-narian

heehee. Happy Birthday!

Eliane Zimmermann said...

she really looks young and with a good sense of humour! congrats from ireland!!!

Mescrap said...

Happy happy birthday to your mom !
She is beautiful.

Holly said...

I was going to tell you after the last time you shared a picture of your fabu mom, how much I think you favor her. So I think your wish is going to come true! Happy days ahead for both of you, Musey!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

I think you've just given us the keys to longevity. Your mom is adorable.

Delena said...

90 years young is right. What a spunky wonderful woman she must be. Golfing, exercise classes, good for her and thanks for sharing!

Janet said...

bless her heart! hey! it was my hubby's birthday that day too!

spudballoo said...

Ah this is lovely...she's SO gorgeous, as is your sister. Look at you three gworgeous gals.

A happy and very late (!!) birthday to Fragrant Mom xxx

PS word veri is 'needdist'. That's what I am. i am very neeeeeedy.